“Domestic garden bore users in the metropolitan area do not require a licence. They have been exempted from the requirement to have a licence through an Exemption Order under the Rights in Water and Irrigation Act 1914.”

I have a licence to take water in Perth. What are my bore obligations?

As a licensee, it is important that you follow the list of rights and responsibilities set forth by the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation. View the link above to read more about it. Whilst some information may be provided below it might not be up to date despite working hard to keep it up to date. So please ensure you double check with your governing water authority before making any decisions. Should you have any questions the best idea is to give us a call and speak to our team in person.

I have to meter my water use. What are my obligations?

Your locality may require you to fit a water meter. You must install an approved meter, record readings and service the meter regularly. While the process can be hard to understand, Stirling will guide you through this process to make it as easy as possible! We have the knowledge and experience to help you meet every requirement.

For more information, please read the Department of Water and Environmental Regulations set of rules and guidelines about meter use.

I have a licence to construct or alter a well, and/or a permit to interfere with bed and banks. What are my obligations?

There are lots of responsibilities when it comes to altering our waterways. You must keep your license or permit in a safe place and make a copy available to your Stirling Irrigation team before we start work. If you’re not sure if you need a licence, we’ll help you figure that out.

Before we start work, we’ll read the licence or permit carefully and think about the impact our project may create upstream or downstream from the work site. If the drilling team can think of any negative consequences to the environment, we’ll come up with a new plan.
After works are complete, you’ll need to submit the required bore log. For more information, read here.

If I fail to meet my obligations as a licence or permit holder, what are the penalties?

Penalties for failing to meet your licensing obligations may include cancellation, suspension or amendment of your licence. You may not be eligible to renew your license if they think that you will not comply with the conditions.
For more information, read here.

My legal access to the land has ceased. What are my options?

If your legal access to the land has ceased (e.g. you have sold your property), you must inform the department within 30 days of settlement. You’ll need to surrender the licence to take water, and transfer the licence to another property in the same resource area. For further information, please refer to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.

I plan to sell or lease my land to somebody else. Can they use my water licence to take water?

If you sell your property, the new owner does not automatically have rights to take water under your licence, even if the water entitlement has been included in the contract of sale or lease agreement. If you lease your land to a third party, you may allow them to use water under your licence. For further information, please refer to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.

Will my property be inspected?

The Department of Water and Environmental Regulation may access your property for routine inspection purposes or to determine if an offence has been committed. For further information, please refer to the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.

Can I get another copy of my licence?

You may request a copy of your licence for a small fee. Be aware that the wording of licence terms, conditions and restrictions may be updated over time to improve clarity and certainty for the licensee. For more information, check out this guide from the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation.

Do winter sprinkler bans apply to my water use activities?

All water users may be subject to winter sprinkler bans that prohibit the watering of non-commercial areas of turf, lawns and gardens during the wetter season.


If you are looking at our services and have any additional questions please feel free to get in touch with us to see how we can assist.

    Contact Form

    Get In Touch